What is Schulfest? Held annually in autumn, Schulfest is an opportunity for the school family (scholars, parents, teachers, Old Scholars, the local congregation and members of the local community) to get together for a day of sport, good food and excellent company. Gemütlichkeit - amiable, comfortable cameraderie - is the order of the day, due in no small measure to the quiet country surroundings at Hermannsburg.
In 2017, glorious sunshine greeted Schulfest-goers this weekend, as Schulfest 161 kicked off with the stunning music recital on Friday - Primary School and High School musicians entertained a packed school Chapel with choral and instrumental pieces, as well as solo performances by our talented scholars. The evening braai was very well supported and set the scene for the good vibes the next day, where rugby and hockey supplemented the traditional Gemütlichkeit (relaxed, friendly atmosphere) that characterises Schulfest. An abundant variety of treats and meals kept the guests fuelled for the day, and Old Scholars, parents and friends of Hmb stayed well into the evening, relaxing in The Lapha and around the fire-pits warding off the evening chill. On Sunday, the closing church service was followed by a plentiful breakfast. Special thanks go to all the parents, scholars, teachers, Old Scholars and the Hermannsburg Congregation for all the hard work behind the scenes and on the day to make this such a successful event, as well as to all the friends of Hmb who helped and attended Schulfest.
To find out more, contact the organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In 2017, the programme looked something like this:
- 14:00 Check-in opens at the Public Relations office
- 15:00 Experience HMB High School musical talent with styles ranging from Bach to beyond - 4 hands, 2 hands, vocal finesse and brass punch - a concert not to be missed! (School Chapel)
- 16:30 Join our resident tour-guide-turned-pastor for an entertaining trip down memory lane and walkabout of the school grounds
- 17:30 Evening braai (Adults R60; fires lit at 17:30) and bonfire (at the Esssaal)
- 19:00 Laternenumzug - lantern procession (lanterns available at R20)
- 07:45 Ticket sales open
- 08:00 Food sales, tuck shop & craft market open; sport tournaments start
- 09:00 Tea tent opens, German food stalls open
- 09:30 Old Scholars’ AGM
- 10:00 Activities and kiddie games open
- 12:00 Meat sale begins and Bar opens
- 14:30 Grade 9 GEP meeting for parents and scholars
- 15:00 Chipping competition
- 16:15 Tug-of-war
- 16:30 Tea tent closes
- 17:15 Auction in The Lapha
- 18:00 Supper (spit-braai; adults R60), cash bar & Oompah Band
- 19:30 Supper sales end (including take-aways)
- 08:30 Church service (at The Lapha)
- 09:30 Breakfast